Monday 25 July 2011

Why Bother?

What is the point of living right
When I don’t get what I want?
The Bible tells me that
God will grant the desires of my heart.
But I seem to have a whole lot of unmet desires.
Why do people who seem to live on their terms
Get what they want and I don’t?

Maybe if I live better, do better, act nice...
I’ll get what I want.
But then I do that
And things seem to get worse.
So then I say,
What’s the point?
Why bother?

These were the murmurings of my heart when silent criticism cut in an unexplainable way this morning. In addition to wondering what the point of this Christian walk is, I was also disappointed that yet again I let someone upset me with signs of disapproval. I wondered why another’s opinion mattered so much. I thought I was beyond needing this affirmation. Why do I bother seeking approval from someone who continues to hurt even as I try to heal?

Nonetheless, I pressed on. I cried out to the Lord and asked Him to walk me through. I said, “Father help me! I don’t know why I bother to do right because things keep going wrong. But you know. So please remind me.” And like a faithful, loving Father, He did.

His answer came through this morning's sermon. One sentence jumped at me: “Being a Christian is not about safety or comfort.” Aha! Why bother to live according to God’s word? Because God requires my faithfulness regardless of the circumstances. I am not good because I want to gain favour with man. I don’t do the right thing to earn points that I can cash in for blessings. I continue on this journey in spite of the hurts and disappointments because even though fulfilling God’s call is not always fun, it will be fulfilling.

Peter says it well in 1 Peter 3:17 “For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God’s will, than for doing evil.” Not my will, but Your will be done. Not in my strength, but in Yours, dear Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, mahn, this is so my struggle rite now, man 1 peter script is deep, i think imma read that chapter. I need 2 be reminded 2!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true!! No matter how long we've been on our journey we sometimes loose focus and fail to see beyond or today. I thank God for my friend CG! The Lord is using her not only to be encourage but to REMIND us that we've come this far by faith....leaning on the Lord. Let's continue to encourage each other as Christ continues to encourage us.

    ReplyDelete