Monday 19 September 2011

Purpose Ain't Easy

*If you want to receive an email every time I post, scroll to the bottom and type in your email address in the field beneath "Follow by email".

My Father! If it is possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine. Matthew 26:39

My Father! If this cup cannot be taken away unless I drink it, your will be done. Matthew 26:42b

We live in a fallen world, life is hard, people are complex, relationships (familial, platonic, and romantic) are complicated. Yet God calls His people to submit to Him, walk in obedience and joyfully follow His plan for their lives. If Jesus is our model, we see from the verses above that in His human nature, His flesh wanted to turn away from the plan but He pressed on because He knew that His purpose required Him to endure this ultimate hardship.

I got a reality check this morning as I read Matthew 26. I was humbled as I remembered what my Lord suffered on my behalf. In verse 28 Jesus tells His disciples, “this is my blood, which confirms the covenant between God and His people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many.” Jesus gave His life for me. He died on the cross for my sins. He loved me so much that He bore the price of my sins so that I may not live separated from God because of sin but may have eternal life. What an amazing thing!

To fulfil the plan God had to redeem the world, Jesus suffered ridicule and false accusations “But Jesus remained silent” (v 63). Immediately, I started to think about how I often want to defend myself, prove myself right or innocent or worthy. Yet, here is the One I claim to model my life after remaining silent in the face of accusations that are much more damaging than the petty stuff I defend myself over. These accusations would lead to His death! Yet, He remained silent because He knew that His purpose was greater than His image. He did not let pride hinder the will of God for His life. WOW! Now there’s a lesson in humility.

Jesus, the Son of God, allowed men to spit in His face, beat Him, slap Him, and jeer at Him and He did nothing to stop them. (vv 67-68) A previous scene gives us an idea of His motivation for allowing all this. In v 53, He admonished His disciple not to take a sword to the men who came to arrest Him. “Don’t you know that I could ask my Father for thousands of angels to protect us and he would send them instantly? But if I did, how would the Scriptures be fulfilled that describe what must happen now?” (Matthew 26:53) Here we see that the Son of Man knew that His purpose was bigger than this momentary discomfort and He was willing to do whatever was required of Him to fulfil that purpose.

Reading this was sobering. It reminded me that I too have a purpose. The route God takes my life does not always make sense to me but there is a reason for it. Sometimes the reason is not even for my benefit but for the benefit of others. I have a choice. I can walk in obedience according to God’s plan for my life or I can look for the easy way out and do what makes me comfortable. Experience has taught me that doing God’s will brings more sustainable peace than taking the road of least of resistance.

My choice: Purpose ain’t easy but I’m gonna walk in it regardless of the personal discomfort along the way. My prayer: Lord, help me when I am weak to do that which You have called me to do. In all things and at all times may I serve as unto the Lord (thanks LH!)

* All Scripture quotations in this post are from the New Living Translation (NLT)

6 comments:

  1. a most amazing quote: "experience has taught me that doing God's will brings more sustainable peace than taking the road of least resistance." pure awesomeness and truth right there. keep writing the pages of "your story." ~ m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what plans He has for your life; your writing is so so real; it makes one feel like they are right there in that time and space; allow His will to be done in your life, your gifts are many! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's some of my mixed up ramblings/thought process as I read thru ur post. ;) I luv reading your writing Ce Ce, i think cuz it's so close to what I'm going thru/my heart. I think lately I've struggled with- well everything ;), but esp this quote: "Experience has taught me that doing God’s will brings more sustainable peace than taking the road of least of resistance." I know this is true, intellectually, but as going thru my life stuff lately,i don't always feel this truth in my heart, I hav to purposely remind myself b/c sometimes I don't really believe it, I forget etc... I feel it's a struggle either way: to follow God's plan or to take the "easy" way out, which def isn't easy either, b/c of the consequences you have to deal with for not following God. I don't think it's so black and white like I use to: follow God= peace, don't follow God's plan = choas. I just know that I know that God's word is true and His kingdom is eternal, so I can't live for me, and can't live for that often "elusive" feeling of peace or happiness etc.., cuz living for all that "stuff" will burn. In this season of life, I guess experiencing God's peace looks very different for me, when it use to just be a feeling of "calmness" for me, now it's more like being able to remind myself of God's truth, through my anxious times, scary life times... Especially in rough life times, I just try to keep trucking through and I do get moments, minutes, situations of peace, God's love, His comfort, mixed in with the pain, hurt and disappointment. But I guess the cool thing is that God has brought me to this point and has built such a foundation in me that is able to sustain me through this time... I'm finding that's a lot of wat following God is all about, as i heard a wise man once say "don't be a spiritual punk"- I'm tryin not to be, J is definitely the ultimate example, that I want to follow, thanks for the reminder CeCe- I will be praying God brands that truth in all of our heads & hearts (esp mine, forreal)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was humbled to be reminded that the Christ did not complain as he touted and dragged that heavy cross. I was humbled as I remember the piercing, the beatings, the ridicule, yet still no complaints. I am humbled to remember it was not His will, yet our savior humbled Himself to God's will, and still without complaining. Thank you for reminding me. There are times we think that our lives and our problems matter so much, forgetting our real purpose on this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone! Your comments mean so much to me.

    Qui, you captured the essence of what inspired me to write this post...continue to explore your heart and to pursue a deeper relationship with Father God.

    ReplyDelete