Saturday 1 September 2012

The Race of Life for Christians

Bahamas 2012 Men's 4x400m team
Victory Hug after WIN

Recently I was hanging out with some Americans and the men's 4x400m relay at Summer Olympics 2012 came up. As the sole Bahamian in the crowd I had to REPRESENT my people well and let it be known LOUDLY and CLEARLY that we WON that race because of the SKILL and DETERMINATION of the men in the race. I then shared with them how the Country practically SHUT DOWN during that race because Bahamians everywhere, at home, in offices, and even in banks, were watching and cheering for our last chance for GOLD in this Olympic competition. Needless to say, as a Country, we REJOICED when our men captured 1st place, over the USA team.  

And then, because I was among sisters in Christ, I shared with them that I actually watched the race for the first time AFTER knowing the results. However, even though I already knew that we had WON, I still sat on the edge of my seat, I still held my breath when we lost our lead, and during the last leg, I still cheered WILDLY  for the Bahamian to CATCH UP and TAKE OVER, and bring home the VICTORY. When it was all over and I sat back all out of breath from the rush of adrenaline that had coursed through my body in those 2+ mins, I laughed at myself. 

Why in the world did I get all worked up when I KNEW the outcome? And it hit me, this is how Christians behave when we forget that we already have the VICTORY because of what Christ did. He died on the cross to pay the ultimate price for our sins. Therefore, when we surrender to Him, and commit to allowing Him to be Lord and Savior in our life, we are no longer slaves to sin. Sin has no control over us. We don't have to live in fear that we will fall by the wayside and permanently live away from God's presence. As Christians, we are branches connected to the Vine and He will keep us and sustain us. 

Therefore, in the Race of Life, when difficulty comes, when opponents get the upper hand, we need to remember, that the God in us makes us WINNERS. We will regain the lead. We will overcome all adversity. Everything in our path that stands in the way of VICTORY will be made null and void. So, let's not sit on the edge of our seats and worry and fret. Let us remember what Paul wrote in Philippians 4:6, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."  


Bahamas 2012 Men's 4x400m relay team
Prayer of thanksgiving after WIN
God is FOR us, so nothing and nobody can stop what He has divinely appointed for us. We may lose some battles but the war is ALREADY WON!

Say with me: I AM A WINNER! I AM A WINNER! I AM A WINNER!
Summer Olympics 2012 medal presentation
Bahamas Men's 4x400m relay team



No comments:

Post a Comment